Sunday, November 27, 2005

Lazy is the plat du jour

My friend Jason commented in my last post that he finds himself being lazy in the kitchen.

I can relate.

I work two jobs. I work as a bartender full time and I work part time at a second-hand record store. Most days I don't feel like making much in the kitchen. But I make an effort to make something worthwhile.

Although it may seem like a worthwhile meal may not be had in ten minutes, it can be done. In a few moments I am going to make my self a salad and a sandwich. There are two ways I can go about this. I can rip up some greens, mix them with olive oil and lemon juice and make a tuna fish sandwich with mayo. Doesn't sound very exciting does it?

Instead, I will have a salad of mache (lamb's lettuce), arugula and pomegranate seeds with a nice hazelnut vinaigrette. In the oven, a smoked gouda tuna melt will be toasting, the cheese bubbling. Sounds better, n'est-ce pas?

The first meal would take me 5 minutes. Max. The second meal will take me 10 minutes. How? Like this:

Crack open the can of tuna, add mayo, ground coriander and chopped green onions. Slather on two slices of bread. Grate cheese. Place on tray. Cook until cheese is melted and golden.

While this is baking, I will have enough time to cut a pomegranate in half and take out the seeds. Then, I will take some the arugula, tear it into pieces, add the mache and the seeds. Whisk together grapeseed oil, hazelnut oil, sugar, sherry vinegar and a splash of lemon juice for vinaigrette. Drizzle over greens. Take sandwich out. Eat.

Five minutes more is all it takes for a world of difference.

So yeah, I'm lazy. But that doesn't mean I can't eat well.

3 Comments:

At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not laziness in the preparation that's the problem...it's shopping for, and maintaining a stock of interesting ingredients. Really, I'm exhausted just from thinking about making the shopping list.

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Simon Thibault said...

Once a person knows what they like to eat, the desire and act of making it gains importance. You begin to stock your pantry with more and more things.

Having said that, my point in all of this is be creative. Know what you have in your house and play around. My tuna melt could've been made with anything you have in the house. Chlii powder, salt and pepper, pre-bought curry powder. The salad and the vinaigrette? Any greens you have in the house. Add an apple. Mix oil, acid and flavour. Olive oil, wine vinegar, mustard.

Know what you have in your house. Then learn what you need.

But that gives me an idea. To write about how to shop. Thanks Nick!

 
At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very true. Your response reminded me of James Barber, the man we so lovingly remember as the Urban Peasant. His mantra was use what you have. oh, and "Some sherry for the pan....some sherry for me" was another favourite. Haha.

I figured you'd want to write about that. The things you keep in your kitchen are somewhat intimidating to we mere amateurs who are starting with the bare bones basics...honestly, grape seed oil. :-)

Keep on with the advice...we all need it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home