Thursday, December 08, 2005

Keeping up appearances

In keeping up with my latest binge of doing things I have been planning to do for a while, I made this:



Brandied quinces. I saw a recipe for it in a Nigella Lawson book two or three years ago. I have been meaning to make it since I first saw it. I adore quinces. They are such an amazingly beautiful fruit and one of the oldest. But finding any recipes using them is not an easy task. Thankfully, with the advent of slow food and an interest in older and heirloom fruits and veggies, forgotten goodies such as quinces are finding their way to market.



I bought these from a small local organic farmer. They were downy and pretty and smelled wonderful when I first bought them. I have a large bowl filled with them in my kitchen. Every once in a while I will pick one up and just smell it. Heady, floral and sweet.

The recipe asks to let them macerate for at least six weeks.

See you in six weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home